All internships are unpaid, but there are a number of great perks, including free books, flexible hours, fun-loving co-workers, and more. Most importantly, you will learn the ins and outs of working at both a bookstore, and a locally-owned, independent business. Plus, it will earn you a number of professional contacts, and looks great on a resume!
The internships last for 12-16 weeks (longer internships available) and interns work 8 - 12 hours/week. Fall internship is September 10, 2013 – January 5, 2014. Opportunities are available for high school seniors, undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates who are considering careers in the arts, education, business, marketing and publishing. College credit may be arranged.
Deadline to submit internship applications for Fall 2013 is Friday September 6, 2013 at 6pm.
Desired qualities/skills for all interns:
- Dynamic, self-motivated, outgoing, highly organized individual with good research skills, including exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and capacity for working with diverse populations.
- Ease with technology is a must, including knowledge of MS Excel, Word, and social media (Facebook and Twitter).
- Bilingual (English & Spanish proficiency).
- Must bring your own laptop or tablet to work
ALL applicants must submit:
1. Creative cover letter
2. Resume (with 2 references)
3. Answer to question: Why are you interested in an internship at La Casa Azul Bookstore (1 page max, separate from cover letter)
4. Schedule information (days/hours available from Monday – Sunday between the hours of 12pm – 8pm) (desired shift 4-8pm)
EVENTS INTERN (NEED 1)
· Assist before, during, and after in-store and off-site events. Tasks will include:
· Arrange seating and bookshelves
· Set up book/item displays
· Arrange for any necessary audio-visual equipment setup prior to the event
· Formulate text for all Social Media web sites (Twitter, Facebook etc.)
· Other tasks as assigned
Events Intern must be available 4pm - 8pm (Wednesday – Saturday) and 2-6pm on Sundays
Subject line: EVENTS INTERN ( Fall 2013)
VIDEO INTERN (NEED 1)
La Casa Azul Bookstore is seeking a video intern, with strong editing skills and a good eye for compelling visual storytelling. This unpaid, part-time internship provides an outstanding opportunity to gain video editing experience and build a strong portfolio.
Intern will be part of the initial planning with staff and must be able to commit to a full semester (September – January 6, 2014).
Ideal for recent graduates, willing and eager to work in a fast paced environment and with an ability to work well with others.
organize and archive auvio-visual material; create short compelling videos of past events; create a Youtube channel; prepare all other video-related material for marketing purposes.
- Candidates should have experience filming and editing footage, preferably for promotional purposes. Should be able to structure and coordinate work hours, have strong technical skills, and feel comfortable working independently under creative guidance
- Passion for video production and impactful storytelling.
- Experience editing with iMovie and Final Cut Pro (Adobe Premiere also acceptable. Photoshop and Illustrator skills a plus).
- Candidates must have an Apple computer with Final Cut Pro installed (or other editing software).
- 8-12 hours per week to last through the fall semester; flexible to work with college schedules.
- When applying, please include resume and work samples.
Subject line: VIDEO INTERN ( Fall 2013)
No incomplete applications will be considered.
Please do not contact the store with further questions or to inquire about selection.
La Casa Azul Bookstore