ABOUT LA CASA AZUL BOOKSTORE AND THE INAUGURAL EXHIBITION SEASON
La Casa AzulBookstore is pleased to announce an open call for submissions for our inaugural 2012/13 exhibition series that will take place within the store. Grounded in Latino culture, La Casa Azul Bookstore is dedicated to providing cultural, and educational programs via literature and art in East Harlem. It is our vision to foster public awareness and appreciation of the arts by being a focal point where people come to find unique gifts and participate in culturally-based workshops that celebrate Latino traditions.
We are seeking works that explore the themes of books and literature in straightforward, abstract, conceptual or unexpected and innovative ways. Work submitted may be of any traditional or non-traditional mediums or genre (painting, drawing, collage, photography, printmaking, sculpture, new media, site specific installation, performance etc.) using books as a source of inspiration and exploration.
8-16 artists will be chosen from entries to be included in the exhibitions. There will be 6 shows in the 2012-2013 season, each show running for 8 weeks.
Exhibition space is roughly: 400 Square feet
Maximum size of work: 20”x 20”
Artists will be notified by end of April 2012 if their proposal is accepted.
ELIGIBILITY & TERMS
DEADLINE: MARCH 31, 2012 Midnight
• Call for entries is open to established and emerging artists, illustrators, graphic designers, photographers, writers and art and design students. Students and professionals are equally encouraged to enter.
• All artwork submitted must be ready to hang / install.
• Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick-up of final work selected.
• Artists submitting work in new media, interactive, film, or video: you will be required to use your own equipment for the duration of the exhibition.
• Artist is responsible for assigning a retail price, from which La Casa Azul Bookstore claims 30% commission. Works do NOT need to be for sale to be considered
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit all of the following documents by attachment to: email@example.com
Subject Line: 2012/2013 ARTIST SUBMISSION
• Resume, artist statement (1-2 paragraphs) and bio (1-2 paragraphs) in a single PDF document
• Cover letter describing work/exhibit proposal in a single PDF document
• 2-5 Images/sketches of projected work (see image specifications below)
• Contact information, including link to website
• Image format: JPEG, 72dpi – 800K Maximum size.
Note: This equals 600 pixels on the longest side for horizontal images and 450 pixels on the shortest side for vertical images
• Rename each image with your first and last name (example: 01firstname_lastname.jpg)