ABOUT LA CASA AZUL BOOKSTORE EXHIBITION
La Casa Azul Bookstore is pleased to announce an open call for submissions for our 2013 exhibition series that will take place in our bookstore gallery space.
There will be 3 shows to begin the 2013 season, each show running for 8 weeks, with 6-12 artists being chosen from entries to be included in the group exhibition based on a particular theme. Work submitted may be of any traditional or non-traditional mediums or genre (painting, drawing, collage, photography, printmaking, sculpture, new media, site specific installation, performance etc.).
We are seeking submissions or artwork that focuses on the following THREE themes:
El Barrio (April - May 2013 Exhibit)
East Harlem is is home to La Casa Azul Bookstore and part of our commitment to celebrating and cultivating Latino literature and art. Please submit work that is furthers this commitment, and focuses on the East Harlem community and neighborhood.
Frida (June - July 2013 Exhibit)
La Casa Azul is named after the home of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. Frida has not only inspired the name of the bookstore, but touched thousands through her work since her death. In celebration of her work, please submit original work inspired by the art and life of Frida.
Children’s Book Illustrations (August - September 2013 Exhibit)
Childrens books are an important part of La Casa Azul Bookstore, particularly the art that tells the story to children, just as much as the words printed on the page. We are looking for art that has been used in childrens books, or is in the spirit of this style.
Exhibition space is roughly: 400 Square feet
Maximum size of work: 20”x 20”
Artists will be notified by early March 2013 if their proposal is accepted, no phone calls please.
ELIGIBILITY & TERMS
DEADLINE to submit for the 3 shows: February 28, 2013 at 11:00 pm
• Call for entries is open to established and emerging artists, illustrators, graphic designers, photographers, writers and art and design students. Students and professionals are equally encouraged to enter.
• All artwork submitted must be ready to hang / install.
• Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick-up of final work selected.
• Artists submitting work in new media, interactive, film, or video: you will be required to use your own equipment for the duration of the exhibition.
• Artist is responsible for assigning a retail price, from which La Casa Azul Bookstore claims 30% commission. Works do NOT need to be for sale to be considered
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit all of the following documents by attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: 2013 ARTIST SUBMISSION / (THEME YOU ARE SUBMITTING FOR)
• Resume, artist statement (1-2 paragraphs) and bio (1-2 paragraphs) in a single PDF document
• Cover letter describing work/exhibit proposal in a single PDF document
• 2-5 Images/sketches of projected work (see image specifications below)
• Contact information, including link to website
• Image format: JPEG, 72dpi – 800K Maximum size.
Note: This equals 600 pixels on the longest side for horizontal images and 450 pixels on the shortest side for vertical images
• Rename each image with your first and last name (example: 01firstname_lastname.jpg)
Artist will be informed if their work has been chosen for an exhibit by March 8, 2013.
About La Casa Azul Bookstore:
Grounded in Latino culture, La Casa Azul Bookstore is dedicated to providing cultural, and educational programs via literature and art in East Harlem. It is our vision to foster public awareness and appreciation of the arts by being a focal point where people come to find unique gifts and participate in culturally-based workshops that celebrate Latino traditions.
La Casa Azul Bookstore