|"Dia de los Muertos" photo by Natalie Curtiss|
Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday that celebrates and remembers family and friends who have passed on. We are asking artists to submit work inspired by Day of the Dead that interpret the holiday in new and innovative ways.
Vivan Los Muertos! Day of the Dead Art Exhibit show will run for 6 weeks, with 3-4 artists being chosen from entries to be included in the group exhibition.
Work submitted may be of any traditional or non-traditional mediums or genre (painting, drawing, collage, photography, printmaking, sculpture, new media, site specific installation, performance etc.).
Exhibition space is roughly: 400 Square feet
Artist may submit anywhere from one to four pieces.
Artists will be notified by late September 2013 if their proposal is accepted. Please note that art from some submission may be rejected while others accepted.
ELIGIBILITY & TERMS
DEADLINE: Sunday September 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm
• Call for entries is open to established and emerging artists, illustrators, graphic designers, photographers, writers and art and design students. Students and professionals are equally encouraged to enter.
• All artwork submitted must be ready to hang / install.
• Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick-up of final work selected.
• Artists submitting work in new media, interactive, film, or video: you will be required to use your own equipment for the duration of the exhibition.
• Artist is responsible for assigning a retail price, from which La Casa Azul Bookstore claims 30% commission. Works do NOT need to be for sale to be considered
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit all of the following documents by attachment to: email@example.com
Subject Line: 2013 ARTIST SUBMISSION / Vivan Los Muertos! Day of the Dead Art Exhibit
• Resume, artist statement (1-2 paragraphs) and bio (1-2 paragraphs) in a single PDF document
• Cover letter describing work/exhibit proposal in a single PDF document includining size and name for each piece
• 2-8 Images/sketches of projected work (see image specifications below)
• Contact information, including link to website
• Image format: JPEG, 72dpi – 800K Maximum size.
Note: This equals 600 pixels on the longest side for horizontal images and 450 pixels on the shortest side for vertical images
• Rename each image with your first and last name (example: 01firstname_lastname.jpg)
Artist will be informed if their work has been chosen for an exhibit by September 26, 2013.
About La Casa Azul Bookstore:
La Casa Azul Bookstore is dedicated to providing cultural, and educational programs via literature and art in East Harlem. It is our vision to foster public awareness and appreciation of the arts by being a focal point where people come to find unique gifts and participate in culturally-based workshops that celebrate Latino traditions.
La Casa Azul Bookstore