Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Somos Lectores

Book lovers at the Feria Internacional del Libro
For 25 years La Feria Internacional del Libro has  brought together authors and book lovers in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. This year, I was one of the 25,000+ people who attended the 9 day book festival. The city’s convention center became the gathering place for bibliophiles – with multiple pavilions, including a section dedicated entirely to children! Publishing houses from Mexico and all over the world had books on display and for sale – panels, book talks, recitals and music concerts were happening throughout the day, for 9 days.


My cousin, uncle and I at the Feria Internacional del Libro
My family is from Jalisco, so I took a few extra days to spend time with aunts, uncle and cousins and got to visit the town where I would spend my summer vacations as a child. The town looks the same as it did back then; brightly colored houses, stone paved streets, roosters crowing at 4 in the morning. It’s a small farming town, cows and goats share the streets with tractors and trucks.

I love visiting, I always learn something new about my family’s history and I am reminded of where I come from – and for that, I am grateful.
Visiting my home town

No comments:

Post a Comment